hat trick [in non-sport context]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by danielxu85, Jun 11, 2008.

1. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    I think that "hat trick" is a soccer metaphor. Three successes one after the other is a hat trick.

I am just wondering if I could use it outside the context of soccer. Is it idiomatic to say "John pulled a hat trick in the three most recent practice exams in his class"?

2. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Hi again Daniel,

Yes, you can use "hat-trick" outside the context of soccer (or football as it is known here). It's origins began in cricket according to Wikipaedia, although I can't vouch for it's authenticity, I know that it doesn't just apply to football.

3. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks so much Katie! I am wondering if you could give me a non-sport context in which you would recommend me to use this phrase.

4. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Well you could go out and "score" with 3 different girls on 3 consecutive nights":D

Danielxu and the Rockers have scored a hat-trick with their debut album They were awarded the NME Newcomers Award, A Platinum disc for their No. 1 hit single and an Outstanding Achievement Award. What a way to start 2008!

How's that!.

5. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
  6. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Katie! That's wonderful! You have demonstrated once again your usual panache in constructing sample sentences!

7. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Thankyou!!! :):D

8. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    The earliest mention I have found is 1858, in cricket: 3 wickets with 3 balls bowled in succession. The bowler is reputed to have been presented with a new hat as a result.

9. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Since both soccer and cricket are considered exotic in these parts (i.e., New York), the sport in which I most regularly hear the term "hat trick" is ice hockey.

10. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    I'm with GWB on this one. In ice hockey it is difficult for an individual to get three goals past a goaltender. It is rare. It is a hat trick which in the USA reserved for ice hockey. I have never seen it used figuratively in print for any other subject. It is likely used in soccer here since the coaches in the upper levels; ie. pros,colleges, large high schools, usually have a European background.

11. danielxu85 Senior Member

Qingdao
    Mandarin Chinese
    Thanks so much John for offering me your words of wisdom. You are always so erudite!