hate someone to the marrow of my/their bones?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    My bones. The feelings are inside me.

Edit: Or am I wrong? I'm having second thoughts.

Barque

Tamil
    Neither sounds natural to me.

"To the marrow" meaning "to my innermost being" is a set phrase used in certain constructions. This isn't one of them.

Edit: I think "from the marrow of..." might work but perhaps the expression you're looking for is "I hate him with all my heart".

Cross-posted.

kentix

English - U.S.
    You triggered something, Barque. I think I was thinking of a slightly different phrase:

-- I hate so-and-so with the very marrow of my bones.

It's very similar to "with all my heart". It means from an innermost part of the body. That's how deep the feelings are. I don't know that it's a common way to say it.

To me "to the marrow of my bones" is perfectly okay and a set expression

I've more often heard or read it more completely though as "down to the marrow of my bones" with "down to" implying not just a light surface touch, but a deep penetration into the marrow's very interior.

A hatred can't go any deeper than that.:)

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I'm not familiar with this expression, so if it's common, it's not common in my neck of the woods. But I could imagine it being used either way.

I hate him down to the marrow of my bones. I hate him with every fiber of my being.

I hate him to the very marrow of his bones. I hate every particle of him.

That's a lot of hate!

Junna Yuri

Chinese
    To me "to the marrow of my bones" is perfectly okay and a set expression

I've more often heard or read it more completely though as "down to the marrow of my bones" with "down to" implying not just a light surface touch, but a deep penetration into the marrow's very interior.

A hatred can't go any deeper than that.:)
    "down to the marrow of my bones" sounds great! Thank you!

< Previous | Next >