Hatian-Creole: Alone we're weak, together we're a flood

Zarncar

U.S. - English
Hello

I am trying to get the following phrase translated into Hatian Creole

"Alone we are weak. Together we are a flood"

It is a hatian saying

I cannot find the translation anywhere

and i do not want to use a dictionary to translate each word because i want appropriate grammer

thank you so much for your time

• tom_in_bahia

South Florida/Phoenix-Tucson/the Adirondacks. Native of North American English
    Here is my translation:

Sèl nou fèb. Ansanm nou youn anvayi.

Anvayi literally means flood, perhaps flood was a poetic rendition in English because I found this when I searched for the first part in Krèyol on google:

Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò

This was on a news website about Haiti, refering to LAVALAS political organization. The only difference is that fò means strong, not flood. Was it Aristide who said this originally? Because I found this:

«Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò, ansanm ansanm nou se ‘lavalas'» (fraz prezidan Jean-Bertrand Aristide toujou itilize nan fen diskou l.)
    --This states that "Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò, ansanm ansanm nou se 'Lavalas'" was the full phrase always used by president Jean-Bertrand Aristide at the end of his political speeches. Literally meaning: Alone, we are weak; together we are strong, all of us together are Lavalas.

HistofEng

USA Eng, Haitian-Creole
    Here is my translation:

Sèl nou fèb. Ansanm nou youn anvayi.

Anvayi literally means flood, perhaps flood was a poetic rendition in English because I found this when I searched for the first part in Krèyol on google:

Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò

This was on a news website about Haiti, refering to LAVALAS political organization. The only difference is that fò means strong, not flood. Was it Aristide who said this originally? Because I found this:

«Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò, ansanm ansanm nou se ‘lavalas'» (fraz prezidan Jean-Bertrand Aristide toujou itilize nan fen diskou l.)
    --This states that "Yon sèl nou fèb, ansanm nou fò, ansanm ansanm nou se 'Lavalas'" was the full phrase always used by president Jean-Bertrand Aristide at the end of his political speeches. Literally meaning: Alone, we are weak; together we are strong, all of us together are Lavalas.
    This is a great assessment... except that the literal translation of "flood" in Kreyol is actually "lavalas" (which is also the name of Aristide's political party), you could also say "inondasyon" (inundation) or, similar to your useful suggestion, "anvayisman" (whose closest English cognate is "invasion," but they don't quite have the same meaning)..."anvayi" is the verb.

So I too would say:

Youn sèl nou fèb. Ansanm nou se (youn) lavalas. (as the ex-president would say )

Kreyòl-ou vrèman bon, Tom. Sa fe'm plesi! :)

< Previous | Next >