haul somebody over the coals

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by Encolpius, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian
    Hello, there are some interesting phrases, idioms in European languages for criticizing someone. French give you a soap, Italians, Hungarians give you a head cleaning, etc. I am wondering if you use any interesting idioms in spoken or slang Dutch for criticizing someone. Thanks.

2. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    I know aan de schandpaal nagelen, to nail at the pillory, and vuur aan de schenen legen, to put fire on the shin.

3. P2Grafn0l Senior Member

That's all fine, except for the infinitive "legen", which means 'to empty something'.
    It should be: Iemand het vuur aan de schenen leggen. *

4. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    That's a typo.

5. P2Grafn0l Senior Member

I'm sorry and I mean no offense, but Encolpius may care to know the difference between the two words.

6. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Sure, I agree.

7. P2Grafn0l Senior Member

There's also: Iemand het vuur na aan de schenen leggen, which doesn't really change the meaning, but does (sort of) literally signify: 'To put the fire close to one's shin+s'.
    And all hats off to you, Jazyk, because I have never really been into idioms. :p;)

8. Hans Molenslag Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch
    Iemand een uitbrander geven.

9. Hans Molenslag Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch
    Iemand het vuur aan de schenen leggen is a fine and commonly used idiom, but it means something slightly different: to interrogate s.o. harshly or to give s.o. a difficult task/responsibility.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  10. petoe

petoe Senior Member

Dutch - Flemish
    Yes we have a similar expression: iemand een bolwassing geven

Also: iemand een veeg uit de pan geven
    Not sure what 'veeg' means here.

11. eno2

eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Flemish
    Iemand zijn vet geven (van frequent gebruik)
    Zijn vet krijgen (van frequent gebruik) is verwant met 'een veeg uit de pan krijgen'

12. jedna Senior Member

13. eno2

eno2 Senior Member

El Hierro de Canarias
    Dutch-Flemish
    Iemand uitkafferen, iemand ervan langs geven. Iemand de oren wassen. Iemand een standje geven. Iemand van jetje geven. Iemand de les lezen.

Wij hebben ook een uitdrukking waarbij je iemand over iets haalt met de betekenis van iemand zwaar bekritiseren- We also have an expression in which you haul someone over something with the significance of seriously criticizing that person:

The 'hekel' in this expression is a tool that was used in the processing of flax and hemp.

Hekel means 'dislike' nowadays.

Iemand hekelen is iemand over de hekel halen. Figuurlijk iemand zwaar bekritiseren (met bijtende spot). Hekelen is verwant met kammen als bewerking. Figuurlijk: iemand afkammen.
    Iemand hekelen ~iemand aan de kaak stellen.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018