haut patronage

phabrece

French
How would you translate " la réunion a été organisé sous le haut patronage du Président en exercice de l'UEMOA".

Je vous remercie.

P.S UEMOA=WAEMU

• phabrece

French
    "The meeting was organized under the High Patronage of the acting President of the WAEMU."

Merci beaucoup Wildan1.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    "The meeting was organized under the High Patronage of the acting President of the WAEMU."
    It sounds OK, depending on the protocol of the organization (I don't know what it is).

Another way we sometimes say this (when the dignitary is lending his/her name but not doing anything else) is "XYZ, acting President of the WAEMU, served as honorary chairperson of the meeting..."

Other ways to say this are here

phabrece

French
    I think I will use your suggestion and translate it as follows :
    "The meeting was organized under the High Patronage of President Blaise Compaore, acting President of the WAEMU."

WAEMU or UEMOA in French is the West African Economic and Monetary Union.

Thanks again.

Wodwo

UK English
    Although "high patronage" might be pleasing to the patron or reassuring to their minions - and such things sometimes have to be taken into account in a translation - I don't think we say this in English.

In this situation I have decided to put:
    "Patron: President X Y of Z.

Would be interested to know what others think of this as a solution though.

Wodwo

UK English
    Back again to the same thread, never a good sign...

This time I have to translate "Nous serions très honorés si vous acceptiez de nous accorder votre Haut Patronage pour cet évènement", addressed to a British ambassador. In the first (and possibly only) instance, this would involve being present at the opening.

I really don't know how to put this. I'm thinking maybe, "We should be most honoured if Your Excellency [apparently this form should be used in the opening paragraph] would agree to be a Patron of this event", but I think patrons normally provide money, and I think this is a request for the prestige of having an ambassador associated with the event, but not for financial assistance.

Can anyone suggest how to deal with "accorder votre Haut Patronage" here?

Wodwo

UK English
    That would be a fairly direct translation, but I don't think it's what we say in English in these circumstances. Although, as the circumstances are unfamiliar to me, I can't be sure.

Jim in Phila

American English
    This may not be diplomatic or regal language, but maybe you should rephrase it as--
    We would like to invite you to be our honored guest at (this event). Not very regal, but it says what you want to say in good old, plain English.

wistou

French - France
    This is indeed very well formulated, but there might be a nuance missing in this English version.

The French meaning of "haut patronage" includes not only being present, but also that the name of the honorable guest will be mentioned in all communication. Any idea how to also include this ?

Wodwo

UK English
    To me, as a Brit, "would grace us with your presence" sounds sarcastic. It's the kind of thing my mother would have said to me when I was a teenager and treated home like a hotel. So in this context I'd feel safer with "we would be honoured if you would accept our invitation to our opening" or "be our guest at our opening" or similar.

But, as wistou confirms, "haut patronage" is more than that. Thinking about it, Prince Charles is a patron of this and that organisation of good works, and I very much doubt (though can't be sure) that he gives them money. He just turns up at their events and lets them use his name. So unless anyone can provide a reason why this won't work, I think I'll stick with my original:
    "We should be most honoured if you would agree to be a Patron of this event".
    I should also have explained that the event goes on for months. It's a lot more than the opening.

< Previous | Next >