have a good moan

pickup

" España, español"
Hi

The following paragraph is a review on soap operas:

“...or just an excuse to have a good moan about how appalling they are (soaps) with their unconvincing two dimensional characters and contrived settings.”

I will paraphrase it to see how accurately I have understood its full meaning.

"...or just an excuse to complain about how shameful/bad/terrible/atrocious they are (soaps) with their unconvincing actors playing unimportant roles and their contrived/artificial settings"

Could you confirm the meaning of the whole phrase?

Thank you for your answers.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think you have done an good paraphrase. :thumbsup:

To have a good moan -> to (look for and find an opportunity to complain and then) complain in a self-satisfied manner (often feigning outrage, shock, disappointment, etc.) Usually, this is done with another person (or a media outlet) and the other person will play their part in agreeing with and adding to the complaints of the first person.

The above is a little wordy and your version seems to capture the essence.

pickup

" España, español"
    Usually, this is done with another person (or a media outlet) and the other person will play their part in agreeing with and adding to the complaints of the first person.
    PA

PaulQ

Do you mean that when you "have a good moan" you usually do it among a group of people that also take part in the complaint because they agree with you?

Thank you for your great answers

< Previous | Next >