have a lock on it?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ddubug, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ddubug Senior Member

Korea
    Hi,

[A company can become incredibly successful if it can find a way to own a word in the mind of the prospect. If you're not a leader, then your word has to have a narrow focus. Even more important, however, your word has to be 'available' in your category. No one else can have a lock on it.]

1. What does this 'available' mean here?
    2. No one else can have lock on it?? What does this mean?

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    An "available" word is one that one of your competitors isn't already using. It's "free" and you can try to use if for your own marketing efforts.

I someone has a "lock" on something, they control it or own it. Think of putting a lock on a door.

3. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    Hi Ddubug,

It's a bit of a complicated sentence I think, so if I've got this wrong, please feel free to correct me.

I think what we're talking about here is advertising "tag lines" or "slogans". For example.. McDonalds.. I'm lovin it"!

I'm trying to think now of a product with a one word slogan...

Mazda cars - Zoom Zoom. (well it's two words) :D

The word has to be available in your category.

Your category is cars.. so Zoom isn't available because Mazda have used it. They have the lock on it , it's their word and they've locked it to their product.

So you have a car, a Diddlybug (made that up) ;) and your word that no one else is using is... buzzing... (because it's an electric car and that's the noise it makes).:)

That word is available in the car advertising world, because no other manufacturer is using it, and so you have the lock on it. (no one else has a lock on it, because no one else is using it.)

Does this make sense?

4. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    lock: -noun
    7. complete and unchallenged control; an unbreakable hold: The congresswoman has a lock on the senatorial nomination.

In context, "available" would mean a word over which no other company has dominance.