have a nodding acquaintance with someone

< Previous | Next >

tomtompl

polski
Hello! Can we use interchangeably 2 below phrases. If yes, do they mean exactly the same?

1. I only know Tim by sight. In fact, I have never met him.
2. I only have a nodding acquaintance with Tom. In fact, I have never met him.

Here I mean two phrases “ have a nodding acquaintance with someone” and “ “know someone by sight”.
Please correct my sentences above if there is any mistake there Thank you!

• ewie

English English
    Hullo Tom. They're not really interchangeable, no. A nodding acquaintance might only be very slight, but it is nonetheless an acquaintance. Knowing someone only by sight isn't an acquaintance at all:)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I know Vladimir Putin by sight, because I've seen photographs of him, but I've never met him. As ewie posted, I don't even have a nodding acquaintance with him.

(This phrase means that you know someone well enough to nod your head to them in recognition when you see them, but you're not close friends.)

tomtompl

polski
    Thank you guys. In my language translation to these phrases is exactly the same, but thanks to you I can understand now the difference in English. Thank you

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Tomtompl.

I agree with the foregoing. I'd say I have a nodding acquaintance with a number of people who live on my block. If we pass on the street, we usually greet each other, and we may make a remark about the weather. We're aware that we're neighbors, but that's all.

< Previous | Next >