have a pole up one's ass

< Previous | Next >

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

I came across the above expression in Cecily von Ziegesar's "All I Want Is Everything", and I assume it means "uptight" or something like that. But as I always want to check everything I would really like to be sure. I also googled this expression but got no proper explanation.
The sentence goes: "But Madame Rogers, her French teacher, had a major pole up her ass and no sense of humor at all, so it was unlikely she'd be impressed by Blair's description." (One of the questions in her French midterm exam says 'Describe your family', so Blair considers writing a truthful but slightly offensive answer, e.g. her stepfather would be "overweight, tacky loser" etc.)
Thanks ;)

• lareneg

United Kingdom, English
    You're correct, it means really uptight. Just don't use it in any formal writing or anything...

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Have you ever come across one of those dreadfully stern people who glare disapprovingly at people for all kinds of reasons and adopt a completely upright stiff-backed posture at all times, either standing or sitting (they never lie down).

Now you know why:)

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    You're correct, it means really uptight. Just don't use it in any formal writing or anything...
    Thanks. I know it is used in informal speech, but I was really surprised that good old google didn't come up with anything. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. Anyway, thanks again ;)

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Have you ever come across one of those dreadfully stern people who glare disapprovingly at people for all kinds of reasons and adopt a completely upright stiff-backed posture at all times, either standing or sitting (they never lie down).

Now you know why:)
    Yes, I have actually. Thank you for your illustrative answer ;)

< Previous | Next >