have a sore throat/eye

damita.jo

Polish
Hello.
As far as I know, we use the verb "have" with "a sore throat" or "a sore eye". But does it sound OK if I use it with other parts of the body? Eg "I have a sore foot/arm etc." Or is it better to say: "My foot/arm etc. hurts."?

• tepatria

Canadian English
    You can use either. Both express the same idea. When you say "I have a sore foot." it conveys the idea that the foot has been sore for some time. "My foot hurts." means your foot is sore right now. It is a very slight difference in meaning, that is why I said you could use either one.

zaffy

Polish
    When you say "I have a sore foot." it conveys the idea that the foot has been sore for some time. "My foot hurts." means your foot is sore right now.
    Does 'sore' really convey that idea that some part of the body has been sore for some time? I don't think "I have a sore throat" proves that theory, does it?

Myridon

English - US
    When something is sore, it generally hurts (or hurts more) whenever you use or touch it. In other words, it is sore even when it doesn't hurt right now, therefore "soreness" is a thing that has duration. Your sore throat hurts when you swallow. Your sore foot hurts when you put weight on it. Etc.

zaffy

Polish
    When something is sore, it generally hurts (or hurts more) whenever you use or touch it. In other words, it is sore even when it doesn't hurt right now, therefore "soreness" is a thing that has duration. Your sore throat hurts when you swallow. Your sore foot hurts when you put weight on it. Etc.
    So does 'sore' generally refer to the parts of the body like legs, arms etc that we can move by means of muscles or joints? Things like the brain, liver, spleen can't be sore then, right?

S1m0n

English
    Those organs mostly don't have pain receptors, so you wouldn't feel pain at all. Nerves tend to be in the same places that have muscles and mobility, or at least skin, but you can have a sore stomach or a sore head.

< Previous | Next >