Have a taste of theater -used?

< Previous | Next >

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hello members!

I was at a theater today and I saw a poster, with of course had english translation, which had a big "Have a taste of theater!" as a title.
I looked at it and it was clear that there would be a drama show specially for students who had never seen a play or drama, it hoped that it would make them interested in theater, see theater shows or even participate in theater performance. It also said "The show will let you have a taste of theater." in the description.

I think I know what this is about. I just think the use of "Have a taste of theater" is quite weird.
I think it would make sense if it was say, a program that let students learn and perform in a theater show, but not like here, only seeing the show. (I hope you know what I mean.)
Would you use the words like that? I think we can't really have a taste of theater here, just by seeing it.

Thanks so much!

• tepatria

Canadian English
    A taste of is used here to mean a small sample, something to get you interested. The phrase is used often in this context. I have seen a taste of adventure used to describe a movie and a taste of cruising to describe a weekend cruise on the Great Lakes. A taste of something introduces it to you, or gives you a small sample of it, so yes, a taste of theater is quite right. If you don't like that "taste" after attending the play, you are not likely to go back for more.

< Previous | Next >