have an "inconstitution" like cows

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Over dinner Sasha's saying that she and Simon are expecting a baby, which upsets and angers the depressed Catherine who's recently lost her child.
Catherine: I mean, look at her! She's just had a bottle of wine, she's got a glass in her hand and she's telling us she's pregnant?
Sasha: In my country we have an "inconstitution" like cows. We drink and smoke and baby is fine.
Whispers, film

Sasha is kind of dumb and confuses words in her speech. What would she really mean by that?
Thanks.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    But didn't she mean "constitution" as in the set of a country's basic laws and principles?
    How would those affect the baby's health? In this country people have strong constitutions so their babies are not affected ("baby is fine") by drinking an smoking while pregnant. Implying that "in other countries people are weaker and that's why they find that smoking and drinking harms their babies."

The Newt

English - US
    This meaning is in the WR dictionary verbatim:

... the physical character of the body with regard to health, etc.

As we say, "to take a constitutional": to go for a walk for the sake of one's health.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I.e., is that what the cow analogy suggests?

x-posted
    I don't think it really makes much difference which specific animal she chose (given the context), as long as it's a big one. Don't forget she is drunk. I know this is not the precision you seek, but English, especially drunk English sreen play dialogiue, is often vague. You just have to go with the cow flow :) (You might look up "strong as an ox" to discover additional wordplay :eek: ) strong as an ox

< Previous | Next >