have been feeling/have felt/felt a bit depressed

sandaraqz

Javanese
What is the difference between the following three sentences?

1. Recently, I have been feeling a bit depressed.
2. Recently, I have felt a bit drepressed.
3. Recently, I felt a bit depressed.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, sandaraqz.
    1. Recently, I have been feeling a bit depressed.
    2. Recently, I have felt a bit depressed.
    These two sentences tell me the same thing. They tell me that you have been feeling depressed. "I have felt a bit depressed" is possible, but I prefer "I have been feeling a bit depressed." :thumbsup:

I like the continuous/progressive form if you are talking about a feeling that has lasted for a while and continues to trouble you now.

3. Recently, I felt a bit depressed.
    This makes sense if you felt depressed for a short time recently. You no longer feel depressed.

Last edited:

sandaraqz

Javanese
    Thanks owlman. If I am using the present perfect, it would be suggesting that the action is finished, woldn't it? Can I also use the progressive? "Recently, I'm feeling a bit depressed."

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.

If I am using the present perfect, it would be suggesting that the action is finished, wouldn't it?
    It could suggest that you aren't depressed at the moment you speak. Once again, I think the present perfect is possible in this sentence with your intended meaning. But I think the present perfect continuous is clearer.

Can I also use the progressive? "Recently, I'm feeling a bit depressed."
    This is also possible. I still prefer "I have been feeling a little depressed recently/lately."

< Previous | Next >