'have being' + Past Participle

< Previous | Next >

mashchic

Russian ' Moscow
I've got a sentence which is puzzling for me. Frankly speaking, I suppose it to be incorrect, but I'd like to consult experts.
The sentence is given without any context as it is a part of an exercise in the textbook. The topic is Passives:

'A Romanian man's neighbours say they have being kept awake at night by the noise of his dog snoring.'

I'd say "'A Romanian man's neighbours say they have BEEN being kept awake at night by the noise of his dog snoring." (If we mean Present Perfect Continuous Passive)

But as far as I know this tense (Present Perfect Continuous Passive) is hardly ever used and has a so-called stylistic colour. Isn't it better to use Present Perfect Passive in common speech?

Am I correct or is it possible to say as they put it in the book? In case it is possible, would you please provide me with a couple of extra examples!

:confused:

• dn88

Polish
    they have been kept awake...

I can only imagine the following syntax with "being":

they are being kept awake

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "I am being kept awake by the dogs." Every night it happens, still happening.
    "I was being kept awake by the dogs." Every night it was happening, now it's over.

By extension? am -> was -> had been
    "I had been being kept awake by the dogs" Every night it had been happening but then one day, long ago, it stopped.

Please noodle along with me about why this doesn't work - or does it?

Sprache

English/inglés
    It's simply a mistake. It's possible that the writer had intended to write one of the two constructions, but ended up going with the other and the sentence was left all messed up.

They have been being kept awake... < While not wrong, this sounds rather cumbersome and unnatural. The most appropriate ways of saying it here are have been kept or are being kept, as both work here. I personally would opt for the second one.

I agree with Sprache. "Been being" is awkward and unusual. It makes the most sense and is most natural to say:

They have been kept awake for [period of time - could be specific, as in "the past two weeks," or general, as in "for some time"] by ...

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I agree with Sprache. "Been being" is awkward and unusual.
    Do I am being and I was being sound OK simply because there's only one "be" word in succession? It would be unusual, and the duplication sounds awakward as a result, but it should be acceptable from a strictly "grammar" point of view - or not?

I think you've got it, Julian. "I am being a good boy" sound perfectly normal (although in my case usually untrue :D). "I have been being a good boy for a long time" just sounds weird. I think it must be grammatically correct - why wouldn't it be? - but the sentence rings off-key in my ear. I think most people would re-phrase to avoid saying it.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes, but "I have indeed been being a good boy for a long time" is the truth, honest, Santa :D

Agreed that it's fine grammatically but sounds weird. Otherwise known as "It's fine in practice, but how about in theory?"

dn88

Polish
    We need to distinguish between sentences like "She's been being silly since I started talking to her", where "being" means more or less "pretending", and sentences like:

They are repairing my car. (active) -> My car is being repaired. (passive)

They have been repairing my car for an hour now. (active) -> My car has been being repaired for an hour now. (passive)

In this case, "being" can't be used in the active voice.

mashchic

Russian ' Moscow
    Thank you all!!! You helped me a lot! (being awake at night time ;))

My original variant was 'are being kept' , but the key made it all mixed up((
    Agree with Sprache and Julian, the Present Continuous Passive is quite good here!
    But Past Perfect seems weird here... to me at least.

As for 'I am being a good girl' (not very often unfortunately*)) it's ACTIVE,
    so it isn't the point here.
    Though 'I was being given advices by people from all over the world' is PASSIVE as well as "I have been given advices"

And thank you all again!!!

< Previous | Next >