Have Freud, will travel?

< Previous | Next >

Laura_tr

Spanish-Spain
Hi!

A psycologist says the she consults the police occassionally and the other person answers: "Have Freud, will travel?"

I do not get the meaning, can you help me please?

• JamesM

"Have Gun -- Will Travel" was an old TV series that centered around a hired gun in the American Old West. This was basically his advertising slogan, meaning "I have a gun and I'm willing to travel".

The phrase was extended to "Have ___ -- Will Travel" as a humorous remark, filling in the blank with a tool of the person's particular trade.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Have (something) will travel" is a rather old fashioned way of promoting oneself in a résumé (CV) meaning that the person has tools or something and is wiling to work in a job that involves traveling.

Back in the antediluvian days of television, which is to say 1957-1963, there was a television series called Have Gun Will Travel in which Richard Boone is a "gunfighter-for-hire" (always for the good guys, of course). Coincidentally, the series was filmed here in Oregon.

Thus the expression is a modified form of "gunslinger for hire" and in this case apparently refers to a "slinger" of a psychological nature.

< Previous | Next >