have / get something repaired

lovegonta

Japanese
Hello / Hola!

If I say, "I repaired my car", it means "I myself repaired it".
If I say "I had / got my car repaired", it means "I asked someone to repair it and this person did it for me", right?

How can I express the latter case in Spanish? I thought I might be able to say...

> Hice que me repararan mi coche.
> Tuve mi coche arreglado.

Habrá mejores ideas? Ayúdenme.

• gengo

American English
    If I say, "I repaired my car", it means "I myself repaired it".
    If I say "I had / got my car repaired", it means "I asked someone to repair it and this person did it for me", right?

How can I express the latter case in Spanish? I thought I might be able to say...

> Hice que me repararan mi coche.
    Agró has given you a good response for this specific context, but in a more general sense, your above translation is the right way to convey the "get/had" nuance of the English, and it would sound natural in many other contexts. In other situations, "get/had" may translate to a verb construction that sounds as if you did it yourself, but in fact you didn't. An example is "I got my hair cut," which translates to "me corté el pelo."

As always, it depends on the context.

ご参考までに

lovegonta

Japanese
    Agró has given you a good response for this specific context, but in a more general sense, your above translation is the right way to convey the "get/had" nuance of the English, and it would sound natural in many other contexts. In other situations, "get/had" may translate to a verb construction that sounds as if you did it yourself, but in fact you didn't. An example is "I got my hair cut," which translates to "me corté el pelo."

As always, it depends on the context.

ご参考までに
    Arigato! Thank you!

Rondivu

Español
    In other situations, "get/had" may translate to a verb construction that sounds as if you did it yourself, but in fact you didn't. An example is "I got my hair cut," which translates to "me corté el pelo."
    True. In this case, we sometimes say "he ido a cortarme el pelo". It's now clear I didn't do it myself.

< Previous | Next >