have gone camping and been camping

< Previous | Next >

james6915

Korean
Hi everyone. I'm currently working in a company in which I teach basic english for co-workers.
Since I'm not a qualified teacher, I have difficulty explaining English grammar and exact expressions.

Could anyone can help me with the difference between "have gone camping" and "have been camping"?
If one is correct, while the other one is wrong, I'd like to know the reason.

Thank you in advance :)

• owlman5

English-US
    Could anyone can help me with the difference between "have gone camping" and "have been camping"?
    I don't think there's much difference in meaning between the two phrases. If you tell me that you "have gone camping", I'll understand that you went somewhere to camp for a while. If you tell me that you "have been camping", I'll understand that you camped somewhere.

Both versions sound entirely normal to me. I could easily use either phrase in a conversation about a camping trip.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    They are both correct, and often mean the same thing.

Here is a thread on the same question: Have you <been/gone> skiing ... ?
    In it, PaulQ suggests a possible difference that I agree with.
    According his suggestion, if there is a difference, 'been camping' means 'engaged in the activity of camping', while 'gone camping' suggests that you traveled somewhere in order to camp.
    This difference may not always apply.

Here is a longer discussion that may interest you as a teacher: Have you ever GONE/BEEN parachuting?

Cross-posted with Owlman. :)

< Previous | Next >