have got in too deep

waytogoal

Portuguese (Brazil) and English
Hi.. article from: The Sun

The woman said:

"I do love this guy but I feel I have got in too deep. Also I want children myself but I worry the age gap might get in the way"

have got in too deep = ?

I found a closer expression to this, but I don't know if it is the same one as "have got in too deep": be in too deep .

Thanks.

• pasfacil

English - British
    Same expression, basically. The Sun (if you mean the British tabloid) can be relied upon to drill deep down into the vernacular.

waytogoal

Yes pasfacil, The Sun (the British tabloid). I like those kind of vernacular as it is a colorful , vivid language and it's good to memorise them.

Thanks.

Packard

USA, English
    I believe this is a metaphor for swimming. If you are a non-swimmer or a weak swimmer, safety dictates that you swim in water shallow enough for you to walk to safety.

On the other hand, it you are not a swimmer and you get in water that is too deep you run the risk of drowning.

So in this case the woman has gotten in too deep (has apparently gotten emotionally involved). And she fears that the relationship has doomed her to not have children.

waytogoal

Hi Packard, good point. This kind of association helps a lot to remember the expression, most idioms are related to something and when we know the origin it's a plus to stick on our minds the meaning.

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >