have got

• In British English it's common to use have got to talk about things you possess or don't possess (either material or otherwise) in the present tense.
    I've got 2 sisters. She hasn't got much imagination. Have you got a light? No, I haven't.
    In American English I think they're more likely to say
    I have 2 sisters. She doesn't have much imagination. Do you have a light? No I don't.

Geoff

BasedowLives

uSa
    Geoff Jordan said:
    In British English it's common to use have got to talk about things you possess or don't possess (either material or otherwise) in the present tense.
    I've got 2 sisters. She hasn't got much imagination. Have you got a light? No, I haven't.
    I have 2 sisters. She doesn't have much imagination. Do you have a light? No I don't.

Geoff
    I've got 2 sisters. She doesn't have much imagination. Do you got a light? No I don't.

That's how i imagine most people here would say those things. I have to add though, that "Do you got a light" doesn't sound right if you don't slur some of the words to "d'you gotta light?":D If you were annunciating though, i would say "do you have a light" as it sounds better when you talk slow.

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Geoff Jordan said:
    In British English it's common to use have got to talk about things you possess or don't possess (either material or otherwise) in the present tense.
    Geoff, I'm not aware of such a distinction between British and American English. Your examples (with or without got) all sound pretty natural to me. What makes you think there is such a difference?

Isn't "I've got rhythm" an American song? :)

< Previous | Next >