Have/had not seen them since a long time

reformeño

Spanish-Mexico
Hi,

If I were talking to a friend right now and I wanted to tell him: I am at my grandparent's, having a great time, because I had not seen them since a long time ago.

I am not sure whether to use have or had in this sentence. I believe it must be had, since I am already ay their house, so the fact that I have not seen them is not true anymore.

Regards

• reformeño

Spanish-Mexico
    Thank you Bevj,

So, is it wrong to use "had" in this context? Because I am already seing them.

Thank you un advance

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    If you are visiting them right now and are describing the situation, you have not seen them for a long time.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You can use the present perfect even if the statement no longer applies in a very literal sense as long as the change of state occurred very recently.

A few more examples:

You’ve just had a bite of cheesecake for the first time: “This is delicious! I’ve never had cheesecake before.”

Your package arrives in the mail after a long delay: “I’m so glad it’s here! I’ve been waiting for it for weeks.”

You’re playing chess with a friend for the first time in months: “I’m a bit rusty because I haven’t played in months.”

Forero

Hi,

If I were talking to a friend right now and I wanted to tell him: I am at my grandparent's, having a great time, because I had not seen them since a long time ago.

I am not sure whether to use have or had in this sentence. I believe it must be had, since I am already ay their house, so the fact that I have not seen them is not true anymore.

Regards
    In Spanish in this situation, would you say "Hace mucho tiempo" or "Hacía mucho tiempo"?

gengo

American English
    If I were talking to a friend right now and I wanted to tell him: I am at my grandparent's, having a great time, because I had have not seen them since a long time ago.

You have received your answer from Bevj, but note that your thread title (...since a long time) is incorrect.

...since a long time :cross:
    ...for a long time :tick:
    ...since a long time ago :tick: (but much less common than the one above)