Have/Has

< Previous | Next >

ihaveadream

Turkish - Turkey
I don't know where to use "has/have"
For example "I haven't finished the book yet."
Can we say "I didn't finish the book yet."?

Please explain to me where to use has/have and what is the difference between past tense?

I believe it's use for something happend and not finished? (ex: my arm is broken yesterday and still broke?)

By the way, sorry for my bad english. I'm trying to learn it. :)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum. :)

"I haven't finished the book yet."
    Can we say, "I didn't finish the book yet"?
    Your first sentence, which uses the present perfect tense, is the right one; the second one, which uses the simple past tense, isn't correct. We use the simple past tense only when something took place in the past and is over: "I finished the book yesterday" would be correct. "I didn't finish reading that book, because I didn't like it" would also be correct.

My arm is broken yesterday and still broke?
    We'd say, "My arm was broken yesterday." (This is simple past tense, but passive; it says what happened to the arm.) "I have a broken arm." (Here, broken is an adjective, describing the condition of the arm.) I know this is confusing, that the same word is used in two different ways. Don't worry; it will become less confusing as you learn more. :)

ihaveadream

Turkish - Turkey
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Your first sentence, which uses the present perfect tense, is the right one; the second one, which uses the simple past tense, isn't correct. We use the simple past tense only when something took place in the past and is over: "I finished the book yesterday" would be correct. "I didn't finish reading that book, because I didn't like it" would also be correct.

We'd say, "My arm was broken yesterday." (This is simple past tense, but passive; it says what happened to the arm.) "I have a broken arm." (Here, broken is an adjective, describing the condition of the arm.) I know this is confusing, that the same word is used in two different ways. Don't worry; it will become less confusing as you learn more. :)
    Thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate it. :)

< Previous | Next >