have luck

< Previous | Next >

Hese

German
Hello there,

I know the expression 'to be in luck' and 'to be lucky' but I wonder whether it is possible to say "to have luck"?

Here is some context:

I've won 10 000 euros in the lottery! Wow! You have luck!

Personally, this expression makes me cringe, but I might be wrong.

I've seen "to have the luck to do", though.

Context:

I had the luck to run into my former maths teacher (a somewhat ironic statement here)

And I've also heard "I have no luck at all". Is it possible to say "have luck" without anything in between?

Thank you very much for your kind help!

• JamesM

"You have some luck!" (with "some" being emphasized and drawn out) is an older expression that means you are very lucky (or very unlucky, depending on the context). I don't think I have ever heard "You have luck".

Although lucky and unlucky have to do with good fortune, I think luck still has a neutral meaning. It can be good luck or bad luck as in good fortune or bad fortune.

Loob

English UK
    I know the expression 'to be in luck' and 'to be lucky' but I wonder whether it is possible to say "to have luck"?

Here is some context:

I've won 10 000 euros in the lottery! Wow! You have luck!
    No, that doesn't work, I'm afraid, as others have said. You're lucky, in contrast, is fine.

I'm not sure about "you have good luck" - it's not something which would come naturally to me. "You have a lot of luck" would work for someone who is repeatedly lucky...

< Previous | Next >