have motivation to/for?

< Previous | Next >

Simin93

Persian-Iran
Hi there
Could you please tell me which one is correct? They are self-made.

1- When I decided to go to one of the best university of America, I have strong motivation to study hard English.
2- When I decided to go to one of the best university of America, I have strong motivation for studying hard English.

Many Thanks:)

• Barque

Tamil
    Neither sentence sounds idiomatic, I'm afraid.

Could you tell us in different, simpler words what your intended meaning is? I want to understand what you're thinking of when you use "motivation".

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    You have made quite a few errors in your sentences, but 'I have strong motivation to study' is fine.
    We don't say 'strong motivation for study'.

Simin93

Persian-Iran
    Thank you.
    Barque, I mean that going abroad to study in one of the best American university, gives me an incentive to study English hard.

I hope that it gives you a clearer understanding of what I actually mean:)

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, "I have strong motivation" doesn't work for me, whether you follow it with "for" or "to":(.

Barque

Tamil
    Your explanation in #4 sounds quite well-written, and much more natural than the sentences in your OP.:)

If you want to use "motivation" in some form in that context, I suggest something like: The prospect of going to university in the US motivates me to...

Simin93

Persian-Iran
    Thank you so much.
    Could you please tell me if I use "motivator" instead of "incentive' here, the sentence is correct, still?

going abroad to study in one of the best American university, gives me an incentive to study English hard

Barque

Tamil
    If you want to use "motivator" there, you'd need "is a motivator" instead of "gives me an incentive", which in that context doesn't sound natural.

Alternatively: "gives me motivation" (replacing "an incentive" with "motivation").

But "motivates me" is in my opinion the most suitable.

< Previous | Next >