Have my shoes shined

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Context and Background:

I brought only one pair of shoes to Beijing and I stayed there for almost a week, and the pair of shoes became dim. I then asked “Siri”:

Where can I have my shoes shined?

Is it natural to say it?

Thoughts:

I looked up “shoeshine”, and I found “polish”, I guess my new version is better “Where can I have my shoes polished?”, but I am afraid it still sounds weird.

Thanks a lot

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The whole idea sounds weird to me - I can't even remember the last time I saw a shoeshine stand. :)

Both sentences sound fine to me, tho I would be more likely to use get rather than have.

And you want dull in your first sentence, not dim.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    The whole idea sounds weird to me - I can't even remember the last time I saw a shoeshine stand. :)

Both sentences sound fine to me, tho I would be more likely to use get rather than have.

And you want dull in your first sentence, not dim.
    Thanks a lot. We still have such stands here. And your comments also seem to be a bit surprising for me! Where do you get your shoes shined, though?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Shining them ourselves, at home, is definitely the norm in the US. The only times I've ever had my shoes shined by someone else was when I was in the navy - I never could master the art of shining dress shoes to Navy standards, so I asked friends to do it for me.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Let's try to focus on the language question.

I would expect someone to ask, "Where can I get my shoes shined?"

I wouldn't expect someone to use 'polished' in this context.
    On the other hand, I would expect people to say 'polish' when they are talking about what they do themselves at home. :) ('Shine' works there too.)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I am a little less troubled by have as opposed to get. I think this construction is not uncommon in BrE.

From Oxford Dictionaries:
    [WITH PAST PARTICIPLE] Cause (something) to be done for one by someone else:
    • it is advisable to have your carpet laid by a professional
    • Other staff will be coming in with bad hair and one teacher is having her hair dyed by the pupils.
    • We're having a small, flat roof added as part of our loft extension.
    • Surely in order to have one's lung cancer treated, one has to, er, go to a hospital and ask to be seen?

< Previous | Next >