Which is correct?

" I have never seen it is used this way before"

Or

"I have never seem it be used this way before"

Thank you

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Have you ever seen an animal killed? = Have you ever seen an animal which is being killed? The omission of the pronoun and verb to form a reduced relative clause is common in English.

EDIT 20:10

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    why is it wrong to use "is" in that example?
    Because a simple present, third-person singular conjugation following the main verb is incorrect grammar.

Or, you could just take word of all the above educated native English speakers that "we don't use English that way," which is how children learn English from their parents long before the children enter school.

Last edited:

vincix

Romanian
    It's either "I have never seen it used before" or "I have never seen it being used before". As already stated, you can omit "being", but you cannot use "is" there, because "it" is not the subject, but the object. I don't know how much the grammatical explanation helps. I suppose you need to be able to sense that it's definitely wrong at same point.

You could say: It was used this way before.
    But you cannot say: I have never seen it was used this way before.

Maybe someone else is clever enough to explain the differences exactly, without turning to too much grammar, which sometimes isn't very helpful.

[crossposted]

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    It's either "I have never seen it used before" or "I have never seen it being used before". As already stated, you can omit "being", but you cannot use "is" there, because "it" is not the subject, but the object. I don't know how much the grammatical explanation helps. I suppose you need to be able to sense that it's definitely wrong at same point.

You could say: It was used this way before.
    But you cannot say: I have never seen it was used this way before.

Maybe someone else is clever enough to explain the differences exactly, without turning to too much grammar, which sometimes isn't very helpful.

[crossposted]
    I undestood. Just one more thing: Why is it correct to use "seen + subject + verb" in sentences like these:"I have never seen you work so hard" and " I have never seen you kiss her" , and isn't it in the sentences I suggested?

sdgraham

USA English
    isn't it in the sentences I suggested?
    Sorry, but not at all.

If you avoid using the second person "you" as a guide, you will save yourself considerable anguish. It's just too hard to see how the tenses are used.

Your failed (second) sentence is the same as saying "I have never seen him is kissed before.":eek:

I hope that doesn't seem correct to you.

(And neither do I believe a direct translation to Brazilian Portuguese works,but I can't provide that example here in English Only.)

Last edited:

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Sorry, but not at all.

If you avoid using the second person "you" as a guide, you will save yourself considerable anguish. It's just too hard to see how ythe tense are used.

Your failed (second) sentence is the same as saying "I have never seen him is kissed before.":eek:

I hope that doesn't seem correct to you.

(And neither do I believe a direct translation to Brazilian Portuguese works,but I can't provide that example here in English Only.)
    So how can I express this idea properly. I can't imagine a way to say "I have never seen" ... "Someone do somethin" other than the sentences I provided... Like in this song : http://www.metrolyrics.com/ive-never-seen-you-cry-lyrics-jesse-harris.html

Could you say me a correct way to get across that idea? I am confused :(

Last edited:

dolmens

中文 - 中国
    Have you ever seen an animal killed? = Have you ever seen an animal which is being killed? The omission of the pronoun and verb to form a reduced relative clause is common in English.

EDIT 20:10
    Why you use is being here? Does that imply you witnessed the killing?

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    < Quotation of deleted post removed. Cagey, moderator. >

I am sorry, but I was confused. You said that my sentence "I have never seen you kiss her" was wrong, whereas other people said it was correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdgraham

USA English
    I am sorry, but I was confused. You said that my sentence "I have never seen you kiss her" was wrong, whereas other people said it was correct.
    Sorry. I was referring to your original post.

I (along with everyone else) said your second first sentence in your original post, "I have never seen it is used this way before" was incorrect.

You suggested that "I have never seen you kiss her" was the same structure, which it is not.

Last edited:

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Sorry. I was referring to your original post.

I (along with everyone else) said your second first sentence in your original post, "I have never seen it is used this way before" was incorrect.

You suggested that "I have never seen you kiss her" was the same structure, which it is not.
    I understood now. I would like to apologize for my mistakes and misinterpretations, and I also would like to thank you for your attention and for helping me a lot.

< Previous | Next >