Have no problem with...?

daoxunchang

Chinese China
I am wondering what follows "I have no problem with" is something I do not dislike, fear or have any other kind of negative feelings or something I do not dislike/fear/... to do "myself"?
For example, "I have no problem with homosexuality". How would you interpret it? Thank you.

• timpeac

English (England)
    daoxunchang said:
    I am wondering what follows "I have no problem with" is something I do not dislike, fear or have any other kind of negative feelings or something I do not dislike/fear/... to do "myself"?
    For example, "I have no problem with homosexuality". How would you interpret it? Thank you.
    People would, I think, interpret that you mean that other people being homosexual poses you no problem (for example it wouldn't matter to you if a friend or relative were gay). I don't think they would think that you meant that you yourself would be (necessarily) quite ready to give it a go.:)

I have no problem with lesbianism - but I will never practice it!:D

daoxunchang

Chinese China
    timpeac said:
    People would, I think, interpret that you mean that other people being homosexual poses you no problem (for example it wouldn't matter to you if a friend or relative were gay). I don't think they would think that you meant that you yourself would be (necessarily) quite ready to give it a go.:)

I have no problem with lesbianism - but I will never practice it!:D
    :D I believe so. Then what about "I have no problem with German language"? This case is different, I should presume. Right?

timpeac

English (England)
    daoxunchang said:
    :D I believe so. Then what about "I have no problem with German language"? This case is different, I should presume. Right?
    Yes, but that phrase sounds a bit odd to me. I think I would say "the German language". It could theoretically mean "I have no problem with other people speaking German around me". I suppose it is the context that makes it clear.

kertek

UK English
    It has another meaning again if you say "I don't have a problem with alcohol," which usually means "I'm not an alcoholic".

hence the inevitable joke from my dad: "I don't have a problem with alcohol. I have a problem without it!" waaak waaak waaaaaaaak...

daoxunchang

Chinese China
    timpeac said:
    Yes, but that phrase sounds a bit odd to me. I think I would say "the German language".
    Ah, you are right:eek: .

timpeac said:
    It could theoretically mean "I have no problem with other people speaking German around me".
    So you mean "have no problem with" here also means something similar to "to be able to accept or adapt to". Am I right to think so?

timpeac said:
    I suppose it is the context that makes it clear.
    On second thoughts, I think this expression may indicate ability as well as acceptance. For example, "I have no problem with a bucket of wine (a little bit exaggeration;) )". I understand it as saying that "I can drink a bucket of wine at one time". Am I right?

By the way, what about "be OK with"? I feel it's much like "have no problem with". Right?

< Previous | Next >