Have no slack left, have no more slack

stray_tom

Slovak - Slovakia
Hello,

I am translating a surgical proceedure instructions list and there is a bit I am very much unsure about:

"Once the Receiver Stimulator tubing at the vertical incision has no more slack, retract the needle from the incision."

How am I to understand the verb phrase "have no more slack" here?

Here is more co-text:

Placement of the Receiver Stimulator
Steps:
1.Using the needle, tunnel 10 cm of the externalized portion of the Receiver Stimulator under the skin (see Figure 5).
2.Once the distal tip is exposed in the incision, take the proximal tip of the Receiver Stimulator and progress the tubing through the mouth of the needle (see Figure 5).
3.Once the Receiver Stimulator is at the proximal mouth of the needle, begin to pull the tubing.
4.Once the Receiver Stimulator tubing at the vertical incision has no more slack, retract the needle from the incision.

Does this mean there is no more space for the tubing to move? I really cannot imagine what is going on here. Any native speakers who can help?
Thank you very much
Tom

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I think it means that the tubing has been pulled as far as it can be pulled without breaking or tearing something. However, someone who's more familiar with surgical equipment than I am should probably confirm (or correct) that.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Slack (of string, rope, cord, cable, etc.) -> it is the opposite of tight/taught.

has no more slack -> is no longer loose; is at its full length;

stray_tom

Slovak - Slovakia
    Thank you very much! With your suggestions and a little bit of research and illustrative material I think I got it right in the end :)

< Previous | Next >