have not yet intervened to end such things

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does the expression "have not yet intervened to end such things" mean that Pope is against the use of any contraceptive (even in the case of using condom to prevent HIV infection)"?

Regarding the condom scandal at the heart of this matter, the Pope states: “I would be very disappointed if ‒ as you told me ‒ some of the high Officers were aware of practices such as the distribution of any type of contraceptive and have not yet intervened to end such things.” He further states that: “I have no doubts that by following the principle of Paul and speaking the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), the matter can be discussed with the Officers and the necessary rectification obtained.”

Source: WikiLeaks - Pope's Orders

• kentix

English - U.S.
    Although I agree with grassy, I would be very careful about drawing a sweeping conclusion from an isolated sentence like that.

Without the overall context, you don't know if he's talking about a general principle or a specific situation.

that the Pope is against the use of any contraceptive

practices such as the distribution of any type of contraceptive

Distribution and use are two different concepts. He might be objecting to who is doing the distributing or where the distribution is taking place. So it does seem to imply what you said when it stands alone but the true meaning might be more complex.

< Previous | Next >