have + object + past participle

ljswj

china
I was taught that "have sth. done"="have sb. else to do the thing". But I think the following sentence doesn't follow the suit. Am I right? Can you help me?
Each of us ought to have our destiny worked out and our fortunes made.
In the sentence above, is have + object.+ past participle used colloquially to replace a passive verb?
Many thanks!

• Jonah D. Conner

USA, English
    Hello, I would say that yes, have + object + participle in this context is used as an alternate to a normal passive verb be + perfect participle.

'Each of us ought to have our destiny worked out and our fortunes made.'
    Another way to say it: 'Everyone's destiny..needs to be worked out.'

ball88

(Northern!) English, United Kingdom
    In this context the sentence means more "Everybody should work out their destiny" than to replace a passive verb I think.

It's quite an unusual use, the only other example I can think of is "He has it made" which generally means a person is living the easy life, for example, very rich and barely need to work for it.

A90Six

England - English.
    ljswj said:
    Each of us ought to have our destiny worked out and our fortunes made.
    More context is needed to understand whether someone else or one's self is required to do the doing, and, whether the doing should be done before or after a given situation.

ljswj

china
    Thanks alot! The following is the context of the specific sentence.

Your opinions are appreciated!

“Twenty years ago tonight,” said the man, “I dined here at `Big Joe' Brady's with Jimmy Wells, my best friend, and the finest chap in the world. He and I were raised here in New York, just like two brothers, together. I was eighteen and Jimmy was twenty. The next morning I was to start for the West to make my fortune. You couldn't have dragged Jimmy out of New York; he thought it was the only place on earth. Well, we agreed that night that we would meet here again exactly twenty years from that date and time, no matter what our conditions might be or from what distance we might have to come. We figured that in twenty years each of us ought to have our destiny worked out and our fortunes made, whatever they were going to be.”