have one cheeseburger too many

NickJunior

Khmer
I have a question about this heading: "That He'll Have One Cheeseburger Too Many". Does it mean that the person eat cheeseburgers all or most of the time?

Thanks.

• JamesM

Not really. It means that he'll have more cheeseburgers than are good for him. This doesn't necessarily mean that he eats them all or most of the time.

The phrase is often used to indicate that the final item or event will cause a lot of trouble.

"My son has had three accidents on his motorcycle this year. I'm afraid one of these days he'll have one accident too many."

The implication here is that his "one accident too many" will be fatal.

"My stomach was doing fine at Thanksgiving until I had that last helping of turkey. It was one helping too many."

The implication is that the cause of his gastric distress was that last helping of turkey."

ronconi

Chile - Spanish
    It means that someday his cheeseburger-eating will cause him undesirable consequences. It carries the implication that someone or something will not tolerate his cheeseburger-eating any longer (his mother, perhaps, or his liver).

occlith

USA
    English - USA
    I have a question about this heading: "That He'll Have One Cheeseburger Too Many". Does it mean that the person eat cheeseburgers all or most of the time?
    That is a possible interpretation.
    It is a reference to eating fatty foods in general, so one cheeseburger may be the contributing factor to dying from a heart attack.

NickJunior

Khmer
    Thank you, JamesM, RonConi, and Occlith. So the expression shows the possible more likely negative outcome. I have never thought of that. Now I understand.

< Previous | Next >