have picked something over the fence

thedaltonkey

Peru Spanish
Hello,There's a statement I cannot get the meaning. Please, could you explain it to me?>> The other day, my neighbor was fuming someone had picked her dress over the fence.

• Mjolnir

Israel, Hebrew, English
    The neighbor was furious because someone had stolen her dress over the fence (encima de la cerca or a través de la cerca).

Chris K

English / US
    I have never heard picked used to mean steal, except in phrases like "picked their pockets" (where the pockets themselves are not actually what is stolen in any case). "Pinched," yes. But it may be that "picked" is a slang usage that isn't heard where I live.

Mjolnir

Israel, Hebrew, English
    I have never heard picked used to mean steal, except in phrases like "picked their pockets" (where the pockets themselves are not actually what is stolen in any case). "Pinched," yes. But it may be that "picked" is a slang usage that isn't heard where I live.
    How would you translate "pick" then?
    I guess it depends on the context, but I assumed that the neighbor is furious because someone stole her dress, not just picked it up.

Chris K

English / US
    How would you translate "pick" then?
    I guess it depends on the context, but I assumed that the neighbor is furious because someone stole her dress, not just picked it up.
    I suspect that the meaning is as you suggest, but it does strike me as odd because I've never heard "pick" used that way.

< Previous | Next >