have positioned themselves within this globalized media landscape

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does the bold sentence mean "artists have joined the arena of criticizing the globalized media" or "artists have intruded into these globalized media"

Context;
As is often noted, the concentration of media control into the hands of a small group of corporate interests in advanced industrial countries has arguably homogenized the look and content of the media worldwide. It has also led to the criticism that media coverage is increasingly filtered through the long- and short-term interests, and profitdriven goals, of these corporations and their business partners. Since the 1990s artists have positioned themselves within this globalized media landscape to critique the nature of its representations— which because of its tie to photography and film the public widely understands as “truth”—or even to sabotage the stability of this corporate structure in the name of “correcting” it (Art and Politics by Claudia Mesch).

• lingobingo

English - England
    I would read it as artists having taken up positions within this scenario, either (a) just to comment on it, or (b) to sabotage and change it.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    I would read it as artists having taken up positions within this scenario, either (a) just to comment on it, or (b) to sabotage and change it.
    So does "artists have positioned themselves" imply "artists have started to express their ideas and positions in regard to ..."?

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t think it’s really very meaningful at all. It’s just a way of saying that artists have entered the fray / arena / debate.

< Previous | Next >