Have push notifications been disabled?

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
Since the latest forum upgrade, there was a new function "receive push notifications".

I don't receive them anymore and apparently the possibility to enable them has also disappeared from the "Preferences" options.

I found this very useful, certainly since the "Alerts" on the forum page does not automatically update anymore since the last but one forum upgrade.

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    What are "push notifications", please? I currently read at the bottom of my screen," Word Reference Forums would like your permisssion to enable push notifications." Thanks.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    What are "push notifications", please? I currently read at the bottom of my screen," Word Reference Forums would like your permisssion to enable push notifications." Thanks.
    This will be on your phone. It will give some sort of notification on your phone. I just enabled it on mine. Let's see what happens when you reply.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Hmm. Got an email notification about your post, but nothing on the phone yet. I thought a notification of some type would pop up. I'm sure something eventually will happen.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hmm. Got an email notification about your post, but nothing on the phone yet. I thought a notification of some type would pop up. I'm sure something eventually will happen.

Perhaps that's because I didn't enable push notifications? Or does this only concern my not receiving them, not others being notified of them on their (cell, presumably) phones?

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Did you configure for which events you want to receive "push notifications" (in your account preferences)?

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Did you configure for which events you want to receive "push notifications" (in your account preferences)?
    I see. The only current option for push notifications is:
    Receive push notification when a new conversation message is received
    So, no push notifications for replies to posts. That is an odd design choice. I'll let you know what I see next time I get a conversation message.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    @mkellogg

I see. This single option is just under the "enable push notifications" option in the "preferences" section.

But further down the page there is an additional list where you can choose for which events you wish to receive alerts and/or push notifications.

I do not use push notifications on my phone, but I do use them in Chrome on W10 and that works perfectly.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    But further down the page there is an additional list where you can choose for which events you wish to receive alerts and/or push notifications.

I do not use push notifications on my phone, but I do use them in Chrome on W10 and that works perfectly.
    Oh. I see. Still, I haven't yet seen anything resembling a notification on my phone.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I've received a ton of them today — and I don't want them cluttering up my cell!
    You can go to your account, preferences.

There should be a button on that page that says "disable push notifications". Mind you, you have to do that on your cell phone, not from a browser on your PC. The "push notifications" are specific per device, so if you disable it from your web browser, it won't disable it for your phone.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Oh. I see. Still, I haven't yet seen anything resembling a notification on my phone.
    Does your phone allow push notifications? I know on Android, you have to specify which applications can send notifications (on my Android version: under "Settings", "Notifications").