have something to spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickup

" España, español"
Hi
I´m trying to give a good translation in Spanish of the idiom to have something to spare in the following sentences

There's no time/We have no time to spare if we want to get/have the article written by tomorrow=No tenemos tiempo de sobra/No nos sobra tiempo si queremos tener el artículo escrito para antes de mañana

I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I can’t spare the time/I have no time to spare=Me encantaría ir, pero me temo que no me sobra tiempo

He seems to have energy to spare=Parece que tiene energía de sobra

We have very little time to spare=Disponemos de muy poco tiempo de sobra

I have no money to spare
for such things right now=No me sobra el dinero para tales cosas ahora mismo

What do you think of my attempts?

Thank you very much for your answers

pickup

Last edited:
  • pickup

" España, español"
    I have given 5 examples of different sentences in which the idiom is used. I have picked them in Google so I can´t provide you with any context. I have only tried to translated them into Spanish. In my opinion it´s not always necessary to provide context to give an exact translation of a sentence into another language when the meaning is perfectly clear.

I have just made the correction . The sentences are in English and translated into Spanish.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    There's no time/We have no time to spare if we want to get/have the article written by tomorrow=No tenemos tiempo/No disponemos de tiempo/No hay tiempo si queremos tener el artículo escrito para antes de mañana

I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I can’t spare the time/I have no time to spare=Me encantaría ir, pero me temo que no dispongo de tiempo

We have very little time to spare=Disponemos de muy poco tiempo

I have no money to spare
    for such things right now=No dispongo de dinero para tales cosas ahora mismo
    There is a small difference between "we have no time" and "we have no time to spare." The first means that time is up (we are out of time), and the second that we have no time to waste (we must use our time efficiently). Of course, in many contexts, that difference is blurred.

I think your translations capture the meaning pretty well, but the basic idea is always that of "[algo] de sobra."

pickup

" España, español"
    Gengo I have translated the sentences again using the phrase "de sobra" whenever possible.
    I have one question.
    As you can see in the second sentence I use the phrases I can´t spare the time/I have no time to spare as synonyms.

Is it correct?

Thank you for your answers
    pickup

gengo

American English
    There's no time to spare...
    No hay tiempo que perder...
    That's probably a good translation, but it is closer to being a translation of "There's no time to lose," which is a very common expression. Basically the same meaning in English. Both versions are common and sound natural.

Ballenero

Spaniard
    There is a small difference between "we have no time" and "we have no time to spare."
    Entonces la primera sería "no tenemos tiempo" y la segunda "no tenemos tiempo que perder".

There's no time/We have no time to spare if we want to get/have the article written by tomorrow=No tenemos tiempo de sobra/No nos sobra tiempo si queremos tener el artículo escrito para antes de mañana
    No hay tiempo que perder/ No podemos perder el tiempo si queremos tener el artículo...

I’d love to come, but I’m afraid I can’t spare the time/I have no time to spare=Me encantaría ir, pero me temo que no me sobra tiempo
    Me encantaría ir pero me temo que
    no voy a tener tiempo/ no tendré tiempo.
    (Sería una grosería decirle a alguien que te invita a algo "no tengo tiempo que perder").

Aquí habría varias posibilidades,
    "Tiene energía de sobra", "Le sobra energía", "Va sobrado de energía"...

We have very little time to spare=Disponemos de muy poco tiempo de sobra.
    Aquí simplemente "disponemos de muy poco tiempo".

I have no money to spare for such things right now=No me sobra el dinero para tales cosas ahora mismo
    Coloquialmente, habría muchas formas de decirlo.

fenixpollo

American English
    I have given 5 examples of different sentences
    Unfortunately, forum rule 2 requires that each thread contain only 1 sample sentence. The reason is apparent in this thread: first, you required multiple verbs to translate these five sentences in your first post, demonstrating that each unique usage requires a different translation; and second, multiple simultaneous conversations have developed around each of the examples.

The thread deals with multiple interwoven contexts and it will therefore harder for future users of the dictionary to find a quick answer to their questions about how to translate "time to spare" -- which, incedentally, doesn't appear in the thread title, making the thread not only hard to read but hard to find.

For these reasons, the thread has been closed. Pickup, please feel free to try your question again, with a clear question about the use of this phrase in one specific context.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >