have the tailor

< Previous | Next >

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
Does this sentence mean that the actor used to have his own tailor in order to make his suits? Is there anything wrong with this sentence?

The actor used to have the tailor to make his suits.

Thanks in advance.

• TheAmzngTwinWndr

United States
    The actor used to have the/a tailor make his suits

For this sentence where the tailor is not named I would put "a" but if its a specific tailor than use "the".

If "a" is used than the tailor may not be the actor's own, but just a tailor he paid to make a suit for him (as opposed to buying one in a store).

If "the" is used then it most likely is a specific tailor that the actor has make all his suits.

Driven

USA/English
    The sentence doesn't make sense. It should say, "The actor used to have the tailor make his suits." Which means the actor used to get (to ask) the tailor to make his suits.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello everyone,
    Does this sentence mean that the actor used to have his own tailor in order to make his suits? Is there anything wrong with this sentence?

The actor used to have the tailor to make his suits.

Thanks in advance.
    No, it just means a specific tailor. Perhaps the studio that the actor worked for had a tailor that all the actors used. This could be "the" tailor. If it were the actor's tailor, you would normally say:

"The actor used to have his tailor make his suits"

If it's not a specific tailor, you would say:

"The actor used to have a tailor make his suits"

Dimcl

Canadian English
    How about "To make his suits, the actor used to have his tailor."
    Is this possible?
    If you want to say that the actor had his own tailor make his suits, then you have to use the previous phrase I suggested (or some form thereof):

"The actor used to have his tailor make his suits".

You cannot use your sentence, Akasaka, because it says that the actor used to have his tailor. This is like saying:

"To make her entrees, the restaurant owner used to have her kitchen staff".:)

Driven

USA/English
    I agree that it is not the best way to say it but with "a" instead of "his" it at least means what it is supposed to mean. The way you said it earliear is the best I think.
    ("The actor used to have his tailor make his suits") The word "his" here implies that he had his own tailor that he used when he needed a suit made.

< Previous | Next >