have thought / thought

< Previous | Next >

elito

Perú and spanish
In what cases I use HAVE THOUGHT or only THOUGHT? In general, what?s the diference between the past and the present perfect?

• Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    elito said:
    In what cases I use HAVE THOUGHT or only THOUGHT? In general, what?s the diference between the past and the present perfect?

Hola y bienvenido al Foro Elito!!!

:idea: The past simple is used to describe finished events in the past. It is used to describe past habits or states. A time expression is usually necessary ( "I always got up at six in those days")

:idea: The present perfect is used to describe recent events without a definite time. The idea of time or place in the speaker's mind makes the event recent. A time expression may emphasise the recentness (" I've justbroken my watch").
    :arrow: We can also describe events that have not happened ("I haven't found her phone number yet")
    :arrow: The event may be connected with the present, because the result of the event is present. No definite time is given for the event. ("I've broken my arm, as you can see").
    :arrow: The present perfect can describe a habitual action in a period of time up to the present moment ("I've never worn a tie to work, and I refuse to start now!")

Espero que te sirva esta explicación, si necesitás algo más, avisá!!!

Saludos, Art :) ;) :p

Masood

British English
    elito said:
    Déjame ponerte unos ejemplos para ayudarte:
    HAVE THOUGHT...
    Look at the state of you! Anyone would HAVE THOUGHT that you had been in a fight! = ¡Mira tu estado/ en que estado te encuentras! ¡Cualquiera habría pensado que has estado en una pelea!

THOUGHT...
    I woke up this morning and (I) THOUGHT it was the weekend= me desperté esta mañana y pensé que fue el fin de semana

Marc1

Banned
    English
    The thought of a thought....E.A Poe

Poe takes up the subject of infinity, arguing that the word does not actually express an idea, but only an effort at one. The word "infinity", he says, represents but the thought of a thought.

Just a thought he thought.... you may have thought I thought this up myslef but no, this thought belongs to one that thought it up first, much before I could have thought of such thought. :D

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    Marc1 said:
    The thought of a thought....E.A Poe

Poe takes up the subject of infinity, arguing that the word does not actually express an idea, but only an effort at one. The word "infinity", he says, represents but the thought of a thought.

Just a thought he thought.... you may have thought I thought this up myslef but no, this thought belongs to one that thought it up first, much before I could have thought of such thought. :D

Amazing!!!

Thx Marco! :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

funnydeal

Mexico / Español
    elito said:
    I have thought = He pensado

I thought = pensé

a) Present Perfect is used to talk about actions that began in the past and continuous in the present (commonly it is used the prepositions FOR and SINCE with this concept)

How long have you worn eyeglasses?
    I’ve worn eyeglasses since 1995

How long have you lived there?
    I’ve lived there for six years

b) It is also used to talk about actions that happened at an indefinite time in the past. (There are many "time expressions" for the present perfect, such as
    ever, already, recently, up to now, never, ,yet, lately,so far, etc...)

Examples:

Have you ever been to Europe?
    No, I have never been to Europe
    No, I haven’t ever been to Europe
    Yes, I’ve been to Europe (in affirmative don’t use ever)

Have you already reserved your course?
    Yes, I’ve already reserved my course

Have you reserved your course yet?
    No, I haven’t reserved my course, yet

I hope it would be helpful.

Please correct me

< Previous | Next >