have wasted

< Previous | Next >

Akasaka

Japanese
Hello everyone,
Are both sentences correct? Or does it depend on when I utter these sentences?

I wasted my time during the summer vacation.
I have wasted my time during the summer vacation.

Thanks in advance.

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    The second one means you are still on that summer vacation.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    They are both grammatically correct. By the way, I would delete the word "the" before "summer vacation". "Summer vacation" is a catchphrase that usually stands on its own.

Akasaka

Japanese
    They are both grammatically correct. By the way, I would delete the word "the" before "summer vacation". "Summer vacation" is a catchphrase that usually stands on it's own.
    Thanks Dimcl. Talking of "the" here, is there any chance of it referring to a specific summer vacation, for example, the summer vacation of 1985? If it's clear from the context, is it possible to say "the summer vacation"?

Harry Batt

USA English
    If it is clear from the context, the summer vacation would be a proper sentence. That context ought to be the event, year or date of that summer vacation. The summer vacation . . . when Henry broke his arm . . . in 1942 . . . of my dry date July 26, 1960.

< Previous | Next >