Have you had a meal cooked for you?

< Previous | Next >
  • Nillah

France/Français
    Est ce que tu avais un repas cuisiné pour toi? Il s'agit de repas spéciaux genre végétariens, etc

ghostmoon

English - UK
    Quant à la question de 'have you had a meal cooked for you' ou 'did you have a meal cooked for you', moi, je dirais 'Have you had a meal cooked for you?', comme vous pensiez. gm :)

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Quant à la question de 'have you had a meal cooked for you' ou 'did you have a meal cooked for you', moi, je dirais 'Have you had a meal cooked for you?', comme vous pensiez. gm :)
    I disagree. Have you had, to me, implies usage of the passé composé. Because the imperfect is used here, I would say it is "Did you have..."

ghostmoon

English - UK
    Perhaps. But doesn't 'Did you have' also imply a perfect use? Since 'Have had' and 'did have' are both perfect in English, and to say 'Were you having a meal cooked?' (which is a true imperfect question) doesn't reflect the French meaning, it's surely just a matter of choice between 'Have you had' and 'Did you have', of which the former sounds more natural to me.

Shang Qin Li

UK born Live in France English
    Sorry about the late reply.
    "did" suggests the speaker is thinking of a precise moment in the past, but does not specify it.
    "Have...had" is more general
    Moreover "have....had" tranlates the french expression "faire.....faire (par quelqu'un d'autre)"
    Example: "Quoi ? Tu n'as pas encore fait réparer le lave-vaisselle ?" = What? You haven't had the dish-washer fixed yet ? (you can't use 'did' here").
    The "for you" in the original sentence removes any ambiguity. The meal has been cooked for you by someone else
    Furthermore, 'did' is a perfective (the action took place at a precise moment, specified or not, in the past and is now finished.)
    Example: "Did you go to see the movie I told you about ?"
    'Have + past participle': imperfective; the action is not yet finished
    Example: "Have you finished the book I gave you ?" Answer: No, not yet (I am still reading it). Other answer: Yes, I did (I have finished reading it)
    Note: grammar should be discussed in the Grammar Section of this website. Let's follow the rules from now on, shall we ?

< Previous | Next >