Have you slit the throat of a pig lately?

< Previous | Next >
  • rosicler

Spanish
    Well there is no context. It is part of a 10 Rejected Firs Sentences of a church. The book talk about church planting. I will give you some of the sentences, so you can have an idea:

A nun walks into a bar...
    So, we were just thinking....
    It's not about you...
    If we can start a church, you can too...

I hope you can help me!

Trisia

Romanian
    I think these sentences are supposed to be funny...

A nun walks... - jokes are a big no-no
    We were just thinking - don't think, act / or maybe... speak for yourself, not others?

Searches on Google show that slitting the throat of a pig may be some sort of military ritual--this is what will happen to our enemies, blah-blah.

Where is this set? "Pig" can be a pejorative term for many categories of people (including policemen and Christians)

Trisia

Romanian
    You suppose you're right... but after all, what's the problem?
    Is it just a humorous example, out of many possible nonsense questions (like "What's your horseshoe size?") or does it relate to something, and that makes it maladroit? (that's why I mentioned it could be considered a reference to people)

Why is it on such a list?

EDIT: I also thought about Lord of the Flies, but it seems... very unlikely.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Perhaps it refers to some sort of ritual sacrifice, which could be related to churches or religion.

(It reminds me of the advertising slogan "Have you driven a Ford lately?")

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I think it might be some sort of poorly remembered association with Lord of the Flies -- if you are slitting pigs' throats, you need to have that devil chased out of you by going to church.

Loob

English UK
    I've googled the term "church planting" which I'd never heard before. The Wiki result is here.

In this context, it seems to me that any eye-catching phrase could be seen as useful, regardless of meaning. "Church on crack" [your other thread] is certainly eye-catching; so is "Have you slit the throat of a pig lately?"

Loob

rosicler

Spanish
    I think it might be some sort of poorly remembered association with Lord of the Flies -- if you are slitting pigs' throats, you need to have that devil chased out of you by going to church.
    I think you gave me a clue. I will have to adapt the sentence, because if I translate it literaly it has no meaning in Spanish. So, If I understood, it would be like trying to keep the devil away going to church, or something like that?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I will have to adapt the sentence, because if I translate it literaly it has no meaning in Spanish
    Actually, it would have the same meaning in Spanish that it would in English: it is no more common for English speaking ladies and gentlemen to slit the throats of pigs than it would be for Spanish speakers to do it -- and the outlandishness of the statement is the whole point!

The thing you are translating is apparently intended to be humorous and satirical. Humor and satire often do not translate very well from one language to another. The point of this "joke" apparently is that when you are trying to start a new church in an area, these are slogans or statements that you should NOT use if you want to attract the "right" people, even if they do have some connection with religious practices or the popular ideas of what is related to religion.

Frankly, I don't find any of these statements particularly amusing or clever even in English, and I am puzzled why anyone would bother to try to translate them. Poor jokes are often best left in their original language, where their lack of wit is realized only by the speakers of one tongue.

PMS-CC

I get the impression that the text is oriented more towards avoiding offense than "attracting the right people." Beginning a pitch for starting a new church with a joke ("A nun walks into a bar..."), a wimpy approach ("we were just thinking..."), or something vulgar/bizarre ("have you slit the throat of a pig lately?") is sure to alienate some of your potential church planters.

Whether it's worth translating these particular examples into Spanish is debatable. I tend to agree with GreenWhiteBlue that it would be better to use "how not to" examples from Spanish that are geared towards the specific community in which the materials will be used.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    For what it's worth, the bit about the nun walking into a bar is the beginning of a classic joke:

"A nun walked into a bar. The other one ducked."

That leads me to believe the entire text is meant as a joke.

< Previous | Next >