Have you too ordered these super-sized meatballs?

< Previous | Next >
Hi there,
I kindly ask you to help me to correct the following sentence: You too have ordered these super-sized meatballs?
The sentence is a really simple one, but I have a specific goal here. I want it to sound natural, colloquial and American. As a thing that one person could ask another person while talking in a restaurant.
My main concern is word order. What sounds more oral and natural: You too have ordered...? Have you too ordered...? Focus here is that both people are waiting for the same food (not that they ordered some food and, additionally, meatballs).
"Have ordered"? Or "ordered" is good enough?
Is "super-seized" ok, or there is a better term that Americans use to describe a larger portion?
I know I ask a lot of questions for such a short and simple phrase, but it's for a caption contest, so I want to make it really easy-flowing.

• heypresto

English - England
    Have you ordered/gone for the ......................... too?

Are the meatballs themselves bigger than usual, or are they the same size as usual, but the portion is bigger than usual?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You should call them by the same name that appears in the menu list.
    It could be "super-sized", but "extra large" sounds more likely, or maybe "jumbo".

Me too. 'Extra large' could refer to the portion size, whereas 'jumbo' refers to the size of the balls.
    Have you gone for the jumbo balls too? :tick:
    Have you also gone for the jumbo balls? :tick:
    OK, now I became convinced by "jumbo" option.
    And one more question. Is "balls" enough? Is it clear for natives that it refers to meatballs and not some other kind of food that can come in round shape?

Jimbob_Disco

British English
    Well, if you're sat in a restaurant having just ordered meatballs, it would be clear from context that 'balls' refers to meatballs.

heypresto

English - England
    If it's evident from the context that they are meatballs, I think 'balls' should be enough. And if it's for a caption, it could sound humorous.

But it wouldn't be at all wrong to call them 'meatballs'.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    In the context of food, especially if humorous, if you mention "balls" without saying "meatballs", they could be pig or bull testicles.

kentix

English - U.S.
    None of that sounds very American to my ear.

Did you order the jumbo meatballs, too? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Did you get the jumbo meatballs, too? :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Did you go for the jumbo meatballs, too? :thumbsup:

Have you... is not something I expect to hear much in AE in that context. ("Have you ordered yet?" is plausible.)

And meatballs are meatballs. People don't call them balls.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >