Having a moment: be connecting (sexual relationships)

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I was watching the movie Pixels (a good one, by the way) the other day and found the phrase "having a moment" in the following context: A woman is very sad and alone in a room when a man walks into the room and they start talking. After a while, the man thinks she is interested in him and tries to kiss her. She gets offended and angry at him. Then the man tries to justify his action and says "I thought we were having a moment.'' It is clear to me that the man meant to say "I thought that both of us wanted to kiss each other - we were connecting.'' My question: does "having a moment" sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. [Friends at a party]: Look, John. Mike and Anna are having a moment. I think they're going to kiss each other.
b. Josh and Lisa are always together talking to each other. I think they're having a moment. They're into each other.

Thank you in advance!

• grassy

Polish
    To me, having a moment seems like something very temporary, so I wouldn't use it in your second example.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I don't recognize 'having a moment' as a fixed idiom. I readily understand it in this context to mean that at this moment they are focused on each other and would not like to be interrupted.

I wouldn't try to use the phrase outside of a very similar situation. You might say that a Grandfather and his granddaughter are 'having a moment', and you would simply mean that they are giving each other their full attention. What gives the phrase a sexual implication in the dialog you report is the context and the people who are involved. "Having a moment" is used as way of avoiding a more explicit explanation.

As grassy says, 'having a moment' refers to a temporary connection --- it will last only a moment.

< Previous | Next >