Having helped fix a few flat tyres with ...

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
Hi everybody!:)

I came across the following sentence on a website.

Having helped fix a few flat tyres with this set-up on our 2008 expedition I can say they are a very good bit of gear. There you go, a wide tubeless split rim on a 4WD, the best of both worlds.......

Source: Article, Split Rims

Could anyone please re-phrase the bold part to me? Isn't something wrong with the sentence, such as 'having helped them fix ...'?

Thank you in advance.

• Biffo

English - England
    The sentence is correct. The verb "to help" can be used without a direct object as can many transitive verbs. We have to guess that the person being helped is the owner/driver of the vehicle.

Having helped fix a few flat tyres with this set-up, I can say that...

(1) The person who did the helping was "I"
    (2) The people helped must be inferred from the general context

Paraphrase

I (having helped a number of people to fix tyres) can say that...

Does this help?

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Paraphrase

I (having helped a number of people to fix tyres) can say that...

Does this help?
    Surely, but some minor problems still exist. :confused:

Shouldn't the word 'after' be in your paraphrased version, i.e. 'I (after having helped a number of people to fix tyres) can say that...'?

As far as I know, the structure 'having+done' is related to some activities that has already be done, isn't it?

Biffo

English - England
    Surely, but some minor problems still exist. :confused:

Shouldn't the word 'after' be in your paraphrased version, i.e. 'I (after having helped a number of people to fix tyres) can say that...'?

As far as I know, the structure 'having+done' is related to some activities that has already be done, isn't it?
    I agree that we can talk about "...before having done..." as well as "...after having done...". Your edit would be correct. However, once more, we can tell from the context that he means "after". Furthermore, it is idiomatic to assume "after" with "having done" unless "before" is specified.

Examples

Before having helped, I wasn't able to give an opinion. :tick:

After having helped, I was able to give an opinion. :tick:

Having helped several times I was able to give an opinion. :tick:

Last edited:

omidnice

Turkish - Azerbaijani
    Great explanation! I got it. :)
    Regarding your explanation in post #2, can a sentence like "I helped fix a few flat tyres" be correct?

Biffo

English - England
    Great explanation! I got it. :)
    Regarding your explanation in post #2, can a sentence like "I helped fix a few flat tyres" be correct?
    Yes that is correct. I, personally, would write, " "I helped to fix a few flat tyres" but that is a matter of style rather than correctness. In both cases "fix" is infinitive.

< Previous | Next >