He and I, him and I

Discussion in 'English Only' started by melboma, Jun 12, 2008.

1. melboma Senior Member

Spanish-Spain
    CAN SOMEONE PUT AN EXAMPLE on when to use him/I HE/I ?

Or the rule is that at the beginning is HE and I

2. mplsray Senior Member

When the pronouns serve the same function in the sentence, they share the same case form:

He and I are friends. (Pronouns act as subject and are in subjective case.)

They talked with him and me. (Pronouns act as object and are in objective case.)

Who wrote these reports? He and I did. (Pronouns act as subject and are in subjective case.)

Who wrote these reports? Him and me. (Pronouns are used disjunctively, and so the objective case is used.)

I think the only time that two different case forms would be used is in the speech of those who say "between you and I." Such people may say "between him and I." Most of the people who use these forms are educated speakers--the usage, in fact, arises out of hypercorrection--but it is generally considered nonstandard to say "between you and I" and I would say it is always considered nonstandard to say "between him and I."

3. melboma Senior Member

Spanish-Spain
    mplsray those examples are great!

But then, what is the right way:

"between you and I." /"between him and I."

I got confuse there!! If I am talking to you it is correct to say:"between you and I who is the best?" and if I am talking to you about someon else, I will say "between him and I" or not?

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Neither is correct. All of the objects of a preposition must be in the objective case. "Between" is a preposition, and so the first-person pronoun must be in the form of an object:
    They stood between him and me.
    This is a secret between you and me.

5. melboma Senior Member

Spanish-Spain
    Thanks GreenWhiteBlue!!

I got confuse!! :)

6. marget Senior Member

It's not unusual for native speakers of American English to make a mistake and use subject pronouns after prepositions instead of object pronouns. Between he and I is common, but incorrect.

7. Tim~!

Tim~! Senior Member

Leicester, UK
    UK — English
    Irrespective of whether one hypercorrects and says "he and I", at least it's consistent. (Subject + subject.)

I can't understand why anybody would say the second. Surely something must ring in their head to say that it's inconsistent to use two different case forms together. (Subject + object.)

8. mplsray Senior Member

This all hinges, I think, on the pronoun "I."

I believe that the original reason for the hypercorrection was that teachers would correct students who used "me" in coordination with another pronoun as a subject, as in "Me and him saw her." While "him" was corrected to "he" at the same time as "me" was corrected to "I," my take on it was that the student took the correction of "me" to "I" more personally--He noticed it more, and so was more sensitive to it. It is indeed possible to find on the Internet, in writing other than grammatical discussions, uses of "between him and I," "between her and I," and "between them and I." It is also possible to find examples of constructions such as "between him and they," but they are less common.

All this involves the origin of the hypercorrection. It is my opinion that the vast majority of people who say "between him and I" do so because it is part of their mother dialect--their parents said it that way, so they say it that way. For the same reason, they don't say "between him and they," because their parents didn't use that construction.

9. melboma Senior Member

Spanish-Spain
    So...he and I have known each other for a long time

Is right to say: who knows each other? Him and me

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  10. the_del_star Senior Member

Southern California
    USA, English
    Who knows each other? We know each other. He and I do.

Whom do they know? They know us. Him and me.

11. mplsray Senior Member

"Who knows each other?" "Him and me." is also correct, since him and me are being used disjunctively. Compare me in "Who is responsible for this decision?" "Me."

12. anomaly8 New Member

English
    Which one is correct?

- I like playing with Steve, him and I have fun.

- I like playing with Steve, he and I have fun.

13. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    The second one is. I like playing with Steve. He and I have fun.

14. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    :) Welcome to the forum, anomaly8.

I, you, he/she, we, you, they ___always go together.
    Me, you, him/her, us, you, them always go together.

15. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    I would only use the second line of Pete's examples when they were in the object position in a sentence:

Me, you, him/her, us, you, them always go together.

He saw them always go together. They say you always go with us. Have you heard about him getting hurt?

About the only time I violate the principle of subject/object agreement with pronouns comes in my use of the idiomatic "It's me/him/etc.": Knock, knock. Who's there? It's me. It's them. etc.

To me, this use is unusual. I do hear people who confuse object and subject pronouns, but I regard that choice as incorrect: Me and her want to get married. He handed it to she and I to sign.

16. Marget's comment applies equally to British English speakers.

Rover