He asked, he urged, he claimed the boon of a brand snatched from the burning

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation: In the prayer following the chapter, all his energy gathered—all his stern zeal woke: he was in deep earnest, wrestling with God, and resolved on a conquest. He supplicated strength for the weak-hearted; guidance for wanderers from the fold: a return, even at the eleventh hour, for those whom the temptations of the world and the flesh were luring from the narrow path. He asked, he urged, he claimed the boon of a brand snatched from the burning. Earnestness is ever deeply solemn: first, as I listened to that prayer, I wondered at his; then, when it continued and rose, I was touched by it, and at last awed.

Context: St. John read the twenty-first chapter of Revelation several hours after Jane resisted his order to be his wife.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to make it clear as below. Is it correct?

brand => 8. A piece of burning or charred wood. [From thefreedictionary]
to claim => 3. to require (something) as proper[~ + object]: to claim respect.
to urge => 3. to try to persuade (someone), as by asking or begging; exhort:

the sentence => he asked, tried to persuade and made a proper requirement to God to bless mortal human beings with the deliverance from hell*.

the deliverance from hell*: I think of "a brand snatched from the burning" as " a brand plucked out of the fire", which means "unexpected deliverance from imminent calamity".

My reference: Zechariah 3:1-2 A Brand Plucked out of the Fire
QQ图片20160716180632.png

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You're right - your reference simply uses a different translation, but a brand snatched from the burning is better-known. St.John wanted God to give him the boon (blessing) of being responsible for saving souls from hell.

< Previous | Next >