he behaves willfully [wilful]

< Previous | Next >

hectacon

Hindi
I want to know the exact meaning of "willful" . I have looked at many dictionaries to understand its meaning but in vain.

I have heard the term willful defaulter . Is it different from'' At will". suppose there is a officer who doesn't listen to his client or customers at the desk.

Doesn't pay heed to their request. But does thing his own way. Can I say " he behaves willfully"

• owlman5

English-US
    If you are "willful", you do what you want to do. You don't worry about what others want. You want to have your own way, and you are probably not too concerned about rules or policies.

Can I say " he behaves willfully"
    Yes.

Last edited:

hectacon

Hindi
    If you are "willful", you do what you want to do. You don't worry about what others want. You want to have your own way, and you are probably not too concerned about rules or policies.

Yes.
    So I safely say simply he is a "willful officer" " that particular officer is very willful in the way he conducts. I want to say '' he is very apathetic or has no regards" for others.

owlman5

English-US
    "Apathetic" doesn't mean "willful", but you can call him a willful officer if he deliberately ignores rules or other opinions when he makes a decision.

"Apathetic" means that he doesn't care about something. If he's not interested in doing his duty, you can say that he is "apathetic".

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    You can think of a wilful person as being strong willed. Sometimes we also use the term self-willed. It's the person's will that matters more to him/her than anything else. He/she will do something even though it is wrong.

< Previous | Next >