He collapsed into the void

Not open for further replies.


Senior Member
He jumped through the window and he collapsed into the void, is it correct to say collapse into the void?
Thank you:)
  • Starfrown

    Senior Member
    English - US
    I cannot say for certain that "collapsed" is used incorrectly without context, but my gut reaction is that "fell" or descended" or some such verb should be used in its stead.


    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It could be correct, if collapse is what you mean to say. Can you describe the action in other words? It sounds a little strange to me.

    Harry Batt

    Senior Member
    USA English
    The author probably used collapsed for the dramatic effect. True that felll or descended would be better for a literal description. By employing collapsed, the author makes a reader feel that the jumper was swallowed up by some fictional force.
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >