He converted his private wardrobe into a privy chamber

Blackman

Italiano/Sardo
Buongiorno, da A short History of England, BE, passaggio complicato a proposito di Edward I:

He converted his private 'wardrobe' into a 'privy' chamber, financed by a privy purse and overseen by a privy council composed of the king's own circle of advisers, circumventing those stipulated under Henry III's charters.

Trasformò (immagino letteralmente) il suo 'guardaroba' in un 'gabinetto', con una dote finanziaria indipendente e supervisionato da un consiglio di uomini della sua cerchia più stretta, aggirando quello istituito dagli editti di Henry III.

Il senso è chiaro, la frase sembra giocata sull'assonanza (intraducibile secondo me) tra private e privy. Accetto suggerimenti.

Last edited:
  • Mary49

Italian
    Ciao,
    per "Wardrobe" vedi qui:
    Wardrobe (government) - Wikipedia "The King's Wardrobe, together with the Chamber, made up the personal part of medieval English government known as the King's household. Originally the room where the king's clothes, armour, and treasure were stored, the term was expanded to describe both its contents and the department of clerks who ran it".

Wardrobe | English government
    "Originally part of the King’s Chamber, the Wardrobe, a small adjacent room in which kings kept their clothes and treasures, first became a distinct government agency in the late 12th century as part of the process in which sections of the royal household became in effect departments of government"... Because of its special closeness to the king, the Wardrobe became involved in the constitutional conflicts of the period. Used by Henry III in 1232 to enable him to throw off the dominance of his great officers of state (the justiciar, the treasurer, and the chancellor), the power of the Wardrobe was attacked by rebellious barons in 1258–67 and again in 1311. Despite these attempts to reduce its influence, Edward I, Edward II, and Edward III found it essential to the conduct of their military campaigns and sustained its power and financial autonomy".

INGHILTERRA in "Enciclopedia Italiana"
    "In quest'epoca, il re veniva anche formando organismi per l'amministrazione delle proprie rendite. L'organizzazione del guardaroba regio e della camera, sezione per le finanze private del sovrano, da inizî relativamente modesti assurse a notevole importanza durante il regno di Enrico III il quale, nominando a capo di questi uffici domestici degli stranieri, aveva ingenerato una delle prime cause del suo disaccordo con i baroni".

Per "privy chamber":
    Privy chamber - Wikipedia "A privy chamber was the private apartment of a royal residence in England. The Gentlemen of the Privy Chamber were noble-born servants to the Crown who would wait and attend on the King in private, as well as during various court activities, functions and entertainments. In addition, six of these gentlemen were appointed by the Lord Chamberlain, together with a peer, and the Master of the Ceremonies, to publicly attend to all foreign ambassadors. Their institution was owed to King Henry VII. As a singular mark of favour, they were empowered to execute the King's verbal command without producing any written order; their person and character being deemed sufficient authority".

"Privy purse": reddito privato?

Last edited:

theartichoke

English - Canada
    For what it's worth, I don't think you lose much of either the sense or the nuance of the original by not reproducing the little bit of play on "private" and "privy." Unless you could work with "privato"--trasformò il suo guardaroba privato in un altrettanto privato gabinetto?--I wouldn't worry about it. (And I suspect my clumsy translation with "privato" distorts the meaning of the original, too.)

< Previous | Next >