He doesn't know anything about her and her mum surely either

Abedul_2f

Español, Spain
Hello,

Could you tell me if the last part of the paragraph ("her mum surely either") is correct. I give you the whole context so that you can see the meaning.

"Jane, as the majority of American teenagers, wants their parents to respect her privacy. Although it does not appear in the film, she is the typical girl with a “do not knock” poster on the door. Her father, as he admits once, does not know anything about her daughter and her mum surely either."

Thanks!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    If you mean that her father knows just as little about her Mom as he does about Jane, then, no, the phrase is not correct. If you mean that neither her father or mother know anything about their daughter, it's still not correcct.

teksch

English - American
    Roughly it means that the father didn't understand the daughter or the mother -
    Jane, as do the majority of American teenagers, wants her parents to respect her privacy. Although it does not appear in the film, she is the typical girl with a “do not knock (should be “do not enter”) poster on her door. Her father, as he once admitted, does not know anything about his daughter or her mother.

teksch

English - American
    The way I orignally read the passage was that the father didn't understand the daughter or the mother of the girl - made sense to me. I think now it comes to mean that neither the father or the mother understood the girl - different meaning.

< Previous | Next >