He doesnt wear his school ID card every day

vinci61

Chinese
There is a sentence in a reading material.
The boy is a very good boy, but he won't win the excellent student award because one day he didn't wear his school ID card. Then there is this sentence.
He doesn't wear school ID card every day.
One student shares the same opinion with me and think it is partial negation, which means he sometimes wears the ID card.
But another student think this sentence is full negation which means he doesn't wear his school ID card at all.
I know in the context my opinion should be right but if you take the whole sentence out I somehow can't say the latter student is wrong.

What do you think of the meaning of the sentence?

• Copyright

American English
    Just by itself, "He doesn't wear his school ID card every day," could be interpreted to mean he never wears it, but I don't think we would – the "every day" leads us to think that he sometimes wears it.

If we wanted that meaning, we would use the simpler: "He never wears his school ID card" or "He refuses to wear his school ID card." It saves the guessing game that you're asking about. :)

vinci61

Chinese
    :):)Thank both of your guys. Great help indeed! And just last summer vacation, I went to Penang!:)

< Previous | Next >