He donned the hotel bathrobe

Spicy

Italian
I dont understand what means in this contest "donned".
"He donned the hotel bathrobe and moved toward..."

Can anybody halp me?

WordNet Dictionary says: :confused:
to don
Definition: [n] a European river in southwestern Russia; flows into the Sea of Azov
[n] (Welsh) goddess; mother of Gwydion and Arianrod(Arianrhod); corresponds to Irish Danu
[n] a Spanish title of respect for a gentleman or nobleman
[n] (British) teacher at a university of college (especially at Cambridge or Oxford)
[v] put clothing on one's body; "What should I wear today?"; "He put on his best suit for the wedding"; "The princess donned a long blue dress"; "The queen assumed the stately robes"; "He got into his jeans"

• jacinta

USA English
    "He donned the hotel bathrobe" means: "He put on the hotel bathrobe". It is more a literary term and is not used much in everyday speech.

Syberyenta

US English
    "the hotel bathrobe" is a way of saying "the bathrobe provided by the hotel" -- an actual garment which is sometimes provided by a hotel for the use and comfort of the guests, as with soap and towels, &c.

fleuriste-du-mal

US - English
    The verb "don" makes sense if you know that in English they used to say "to do on clothes" where we now say "to put on clothes." "Do on" became "don" "He donned the hotel bathrobe." ... By the same token they used to say "to do off clothes" This became "doff" "As soon as she came inside she doffed her coat and scarf."

David

Banned
    It´s right there in your dictionary definition: put clothes on the body. The Princess donned a blue dress.

At Christmas, we sing

Don we now our gay apparel... (with, of course, they old meaning of gay, though I suppose there is no reason why it would not apply to the new meaning as well..."

< Previous | Next >